Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Lamest Couple in Seattle

Well, I think I can safely assert that my wife and I are the lamest two people in Seattle. A glorious sun filled weekend in the Puget Sound and what did we do with it. Nothing. Bring on the rain.

I did go for a 13 mile run on Saturday through the neighborhood; through the UW campus and greek row, to greenlake which I lapped twice and back. On my trip I ran through a sea of men, women and children garbed in orange and blue all over campus and the neighborhood streets. The Boise State Broncos were in town. Bronco fans sure do show up in force, you have to give 'em credit for that. They still lost though, proving that despite all their bravado they are still merely a mid-major, not a national player. A program that hasn't beaten a BCS team on the road in 13 games can not call itself a national caliber program. True, they are better than in-state rival Idaho, and they are one of the better mid-majors in the nation, but they still have a long, long way to go before they can be mentioned in the same breath as Ohio, Florida or hell, even, Washington State. They still bring credit to the WAC though and for that I'll give them praise, but I don't see their domination of the WAC or Idaho for that matter lasting more than a year or two.

It did make me thankful to live in a college neighborhood though. I love living so close to the UW when the fall changes the colors on the trees and the campus comes to life. Not sure what it is but I wouldn't ever want to live in a town without a college.

1 comment:

Idaho Dad said...

Well, it's a good thing we don't live over there, or you'd be the second lamest couple in Seattle.

How can you tell the difference between BSU fans and a sheriff's work detail?

Did you hear the story about UW coach Chris Tormey yelling "Go Vandals" at the Bronco fans after the game? Priceless!

No college team can stay on top forever... It's so cyclical. BSU had a good run, but I see many other teams in the WAC catching up now. Idaho is certainly a team on the rise and I see us going bowling as early as next year. Coach Akey inspires a kind of confidence that Cable and Holt never did. I think the improvements to the Kibbie Dome also signal a team on the rise.